Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Cowtown Marathon Training Week 3

Greetings from Austin, friends! While the rest of the world is reflecting on 2016, I'm traveling to Austin for work this week and reflecting on week 3 of marathon training. No doubt, 2016 requires some dedicated time for reflection as it was a year full of challenges and lots of blessings... but that will come in due time (because we all know that I dance to the beat of my own song :)

On to week 3... this week was hard. We (Brad, Joanna and I) were wrapping up our Florida vacation and headed back to reality. The lack of much needed post-vacation-rest combined with Brad's overnight schedule had me tired (to say the least) by the time weekend rolled around. Let's see how we shook out..

Miles: 4
Time: 43;14
Pace: 10:48

We drove back to my parent's house on Sunday night and I ran this first thing in the morning (5am wake up). This felt nice and easy like it should.

We traveled back to Dallas on Tuesday so the day was filled with airport lines, a pretty smooth plane ride and then picking up the dogs on our way home. We were tired and I'm pretty sure we all went to bed super early this night.

Miles: 8
Time: 1:23:38
Pace: 10:27

Progression Run:
Mile 1 - 11:00
Mile 2 - 10:45
Mile 3 - 10:40
Mile 4 - 10:35
Mile 5 - 10:30
Mile 6 - 10:15
Mile 7 - 10:15
Mile 8 - 10:00

I nailed this run! It felt SO great getting back to the cooler weather and running out of my own front door. Luckily, Brad was still off of work so I was able to get out the door feeling relaxed. I was headed back to a 3-day week at the office so I also wasn't in a hurry to get ready for work (although I did have a lot of catching up to do). I savored my last vacation run and totally enjoyed this while hitting each mile almost on the head. Although my fingers were pretty darn cold at the end.

Time: 59:55
Pace: 10:54

I cut this short by half mile because I just didn't have the mental strength to stay on the treadmill. Joanna didn't sleep so well the night before and I was pretty tired from the previous day run and lack of sleep myself. Looking back, I should have held on for another 5-6 minutes but at the time I just couldn't convince myself.

REST DAY and I soaked it all up! I'm pretty sure on Thursday night I went to bed around 8pm and slept until 6am (with lots of interruptions). Point being, I thoroughly enjoyed not rushing out of my bed because I was SO tired. Vacations do something to toddler sleep habits and by Thursday night it had all caught up to me. I should have focused on some strength this day but I needed all the rest I could get.

(4 treadmill and 4 outside stroller)

Miles: 4
Time: 40:36
Pace: 10:09

I got these faster miles in before Jo woke up for the day. It was rainy out so I wasn't sure if I was going to be treadmill bound again after she went to bed or we'd be able to get out on the stroller later in the afternoon.

Miles: 4
Time: 40:29

By the time nap rolled around, Joanna was over tired and fighting every bit of her nap. I was pretty frustrated and the rain had cleared up too. I pushed the stroller faster than normal and Joanna fell asleep. This was a win, win for all of us! I was so happy that I could push that stroller just as fast as running on the treadmill hours earlier. I can always tell how much stronger I am getting by the improvement of my stroller time. It was humid, I was sweaty and I left most of it out on the neighborhood hills.

"Finally sleeping! And now I'm sweating bullets..."

REST DAY! Well, active recovery. I pulled the wagon to the park and we played on the swings and slide. Then I pulled the wagon home. I probably walked a mile total at a very easy pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment