Saturday, March 5, 2016

Our First 5k with Joanna

I'm happy to report that daddy and Jo survived my two-day work trip to Austin. I was definitely feeling the mommy-guilt during my pumping sessions while I was away, but it was nice to know that daddy handled the home-front like a champ (I always believed he could!). Both of them were pretty sick when I left... but after some midnight snuggles for Jo and some cold medicine for daddy, they pulled through.

I got back and had to jump right back into work at the office. This was brutal as I was pretty darn tired after a late flight home and a waking baby every 3 hours [#parenthood] but I survived! I received another project at work and slowly I've been learning to go, go, go! again. It's been pretty tough as I'm pretty sure we hit the 4 month sleep regression a few weeks ago (right before I left - reason why I got up a million times the night I got home). Joanna was giving us a good 7-8 hours of sleep before she'd get up for a feeding and fall back asleep until morning - then BAM that all changed. For the last month she has been sleeping like a newborn again, up every 2-4 hours nursing and it has really set us back in the sleep department. Anyways, I think we are past that! (It only took 4 weeks but we are all getting more sleep now-a-days). 

Right after my Austin trip, we jumped right into a 5k! I have a coworker who is a walker of all 5 mile or less Dallas races. She knows all the races with great routes and GREAT swag (win!). So she's been schooling me and I signed us up for Form Follows Fitness 5k in downtown Dallas. My last real "run" was my 5-miler in the beginning of January. I was able to get out with the dogs and the stroller for a 2-mile jog and 1-mile walk a few weeks ago but there was a lot of stop and check the baby stop and drink some water. Sure, I was a little nervous to be running participating in a 5k, but I needed something to help jump-start our lack-of-running plateau. 

So, morning of the 5k we woke up at 5am. The weather was great! Despite the fact we live in North Dallas and we are smack in the middle of winter. We had 65-70 degree temps at the start. We decided to do packet pickup at the race because the locations available for pickup were not at all convenient during the week. I'm so glad we got there early at 7:30 because the line was getting longer and longer the closer we got to 8am.

6:50am - leave the house with all the essentials!
7:30am - found a parking spot rather quickly 
7:40am - packet pickup
7:55am - quick nursing session before the race
8:15am - walk to the start line with Jo and stroller
8:40am - race was 10min delayed start from all of the people still doing packet pickup

The race was great! We started in the back with our stroller and felt like there were a SEA OF PEOPLE to get through before we found our "pace". Brad pushed the stroller most of the way. Throughout the first mile I even told him to pick it up because I felt like he was going to slowly. During mile 2 I offered to push Jo and only lasted for about half a mile. During the third mile, I asked him to stop so I could walk (maybe I shouldn't have been so "quick" during the first two miles... haha). 

The most fun part of it all? When we were in the last .25 mile stretch and the course turned up hill. I stopped to walk and said to Brad, "NO... I'm not running that!" and Brad kept going. I think he may have actually picked up the pace. Then I screamed, "NO, don't leave me!" and I had to haul ass to try and catch up with him.

We had a great time and I really can't wait to get back into running consistently and hopefully racing again this fall. A girl can dream, right? At least we know that Jo seems to be enjoying her stroller time with mama and daddy - we jut have to lace up our running shoes and put one foot out the door.

How do you overcome a fitness plateau?

Running Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment